PromethION is a standalone benchtop instrument designed for high-throughput, high sample-number analyses. Its modular design allows a new paradigm of versatile workflow where many different experiments may be run in real time, with no constraints of fixed run times. The same technology as MinION and GridION, it offers real time, long read, high fidelity DNA and RNA sequencing.
A single PromethION contains docking for 48 flow cells. Each flow cell contains a nanopore sensor array of 12,000 wells, enabling 3,000 nanopores to be addressed at any one time. This means a total of 144,000 nanopores can be utilised on the instrument at any one time. Each flow cell also allows for multiple samples to be processed separately. Users may choose to use as many or as few of the flow cells as they like at any one time.
PromethION includes integrated compute resource for real-time basecalling and analyses, removing the burden on existing infrastructure.
PromethION workflows are designed for simplicity and versatility.
Library preparation is the same as MinION: the 1D library preparation takes <10 minutes.
With real-time data and a modular design there is no requirement for batching samples. The user may deploy as many of the 48 flow cells as they wish at any time to allow for scalable analyses.
Within each flow cell, multiple samples may be run separately or the same sample may be run across multiple flow cells for a faster time-to-result.
With real-time analyses, the system needs to be run only for as long as it takes to gather sufficient data to answer the biological question. PromethION is compatible with common liquid handling formats making the PromethION suitable for large scale library preparation.
To start using PromethION, join the PromethION Early Access Programme
PromethION system overview
The PromethION is a desktop device designed for high-throughput, high sample number analysis of biological molecules such as DNA and RNA. It includes two modules:
- 48 individually addressable flow cells
- Each flow cell uses a new 3K ASIC, offering a total of up to 144,000 channels
- The same technology as MinION and GridION
- Intergrated FPGA basecall accellerators
- Real time data analysis in the device
- Specifications for PromethION and MinION can be found here
Flow cells can be run independently or as a group
- Designed for between 1 and 192 samples
- 48 individual sensor chips
- 4 sample inputs per chip
- 3,000 active channels per chip
- Up to 144,000 simultaneous channels
Ligation or Transposome kits will be available
- Sample loading with multichannel pipette
- Compatible with multi-well plate formats
Read data available and processed in real time.
Inside the box...
- Dual Intel© Xeon© 44 Cores 88 Threads
- 512 Gigabytes RAM
- Bank of FPGA co-processors providing up to 80 TFLOPS
- Full PromethION© 450 bases per second generates 6 Terabases per day
- 80 TFLOPS can do 8 Terabases per day
- 20 Gigabytes per second dual fibre interface