Scalable, real-time biological analysis technology
Compare productsNanopore devices perform DNA/RNA sequencing directly and in real time. The technology is scalable from miniature devices to high-throughput installations.
Choose MinION if you:
- would like access to sequencing for $1,000
- want to sequence immediately, not wait
- want to sequence outside a lab
- need 10-20Gb per 48 hours
- want to avoid CapEx investments
Choose GridION X5 if you:
- would like to offer nanopore sequencing as a service
- want the choice to invest from a CapEx or consumable budget
- work on larger sequencing projects (50-100Gb per 48 hours)
- would like on-device basecalling - no local infrastructure requirement
Choose PromethION if you:
- would like to offer nanopore sequencing as a service
- are interested in very large data volumes projects (Tb)
- are seeking on-demand sequencing for large numbers of samples
- would like to avoid CapEx investments
- Designed to be our smallest sequencing device so far
- Same nanopore sensing technology as MinION and PromethION
- Designed for use with a smartphone in any location
Choose nanopore sequencing if you would like:
- Ultra-long reads
- Real time data, unlocking real time data analysis
- Direct analysis of your molecule of interest, not a surrogate marker
- Rapid, straightforward library prep (as little as 5 minutes)
- Flexible workflows including multiplexing and automation
- Scalable solutions, priced for any funding scenario and not confined to the lab
Product specifications comparison
|Mk 1 MinION
(5x MinIONs + Compute)
|Single PromethION Flow Cell||PromethION (48 Flow Cells)|
|Availability||Start using MinION||Contact to order now||Register for PEAP||Register for PEAP|
|Number of channels available for sequencing||Up to 512||up to 2,560||Up to 3,000||Up to 144,000|
|Sample input requirement PCR free1||10 pg - 1 µg||10 pg - 1 µg||10 pg - 1 µg||10 pg - 1 µg|
|Flow cell input volume2||75 µl||75 µl||35 µl per sample well (4 wells in a flow cell)||35 µl per sample well (192 wells in a PromethION)|
|Sample preparation time 1D||10 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|Run time2||1 minute - 48 hours||1 minute - 48 hours||1 minute - 48 hours||1 minute - 48 hours|
|Flow cell lifetime3||~72 hrs||~72 hrs||≥ 72hrs||≥ 72hrs|
|Time to first usable read (data available in real time)||2 minutes||2 minutes||2 minutes||2 minutes|
|Number of reads at 10 kb at standard speed (250 bps)4||Up to 4.4 M||Up to 4.4 M||Up to 26 M||Up to 1,250 M|
|Read length||The longest reported read by a MinION user is now approaching 1Mb||The longest reported read by a MinION user is now approaching 1Mb||The longest reported read by a MinION user is now approaching 1Mb||The longest reported read by a MinION user is now approaching 1Mb|
|1D Yield4 at 450 bps in 48 hours||Up to 40 Gb (Theoretical maximum)||Up to 40 Gb (Theoretical maximum)||Up to 233 Gb (Theoretical maximum)||Up to 11 Tb (Theoretical maximum)|
|1D Yield5 at 450 bps (October 2016 release)||5-10 Gb||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|1D Yield5 at 450 bps (MinKNOW 1.4 Feb 2017 release)||10-20 Gb||50-100 Gb||N/A||N/A|
|Base calling accuracy6||Up to 99%||Up to 99%||Up to 99%||Up to 99%|
|Raw data available||Yes||Yes||Coming soon||Coming soon|
|Modified base detection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Data analysis||Local offline/online||Local offline/online||On Unit / Local offline||On Unit / Local offline|
|Power requirement||USB 3 (1 watt)||600 W||~2 kW||~2 kW|
|Potential raw data requirements (Bytes per second)||Up to 5 MBps||Up to 25 MBps||Up to 30 MBps||Up to 1.44 GBps|
|Dimensions||W 105, H 23, D 33 mm||W 360 H 200 D 360 mm||W 440, H 400, D 240 mm||W 440, H 400, D 240 mm|
|Weight||87 g||10 Kg||40 Kg||40 Kg|
|Facility modifications required||None||None||None||None|
|Price on Application|
|Annual service contract7||None||$15k Support||$15k (compute module support)||$15k (compute module support)|
|Reagent cost per run8||$ 99||$99||POA||POA|
|Flow cell cost (depending on order type and volume)8||$500 - $900||$299-900||POA||POA|
|Instrument access fee||Starter kit (includes MinION and all materials for 2 runs) $1000||No instrument cost||No instrument cost||No instrument cost|
- Higher sample input will result in a higher yield. The system can, in principle, detect just one molecule subject to a long enough wait and random diffusion.
- Data is available within a minute of the run starting. If a user reaches the answer necessary quickly they can simply stop the run, wash, load and analyse another sample. Current scripts are set to run for 48 hours but these can be stopped and started as necessary.
- Current default run time is 48 hours although it is possible to run the system for longer if a user chooses to. Longer default run conditions are in development along with other design features that can extend a flow cell life. The system can run at different speeds depending on user requirements. This is measured in bases that pass through the pore per second (bps). Current default speed on the MinION is 450 bps. Speeds may increase in future beyond those shown.
- Maximal numbers are shown here. Actual yields may vary according to sample type, sample preparation methods, fragmentation methods, user chosen instrument settings and other factors.
- Yields may vary according to sample type, sample preparation methods, fragmentation methods, user chosen instrument settings and other factors.
- Accuracy may depend on base calling software chosen, user chosen run settings and other factors. Future versions of the system may exceed figures shown here.
- Upgrades or replacements will be made available promptly. Customers may propose alternative service arrangements and bespoke contracts.
- POA: Price on application. Detailed pricing breakdown for PromethION consumables are not yet available. Price per Gb will be competitive with other market leading sequencing systems.