Adapting MinION for smaller, frequent, rapid tests and analyses
Flongle is an adapter (flow cell dongle) for MinION or GridION that enables direct, real-time DNA or RNA sequencing on smaller, single-use flow cells.
Providing access to sequence data as soon your experiment starts, Flongle is designed to be the quickest, most accessible and cost-efficient sequencing system for smaller tests and experiments.
Choose Flongle if:
- You have smaller samples that you would like to analyse. e.g. amplicons, smaller genomes or targeted regions
- You prefer to run single samples rather than multiplexing/barcoding
- You would like to perform rapid quality checking of a sample before starting a larger experiment
- You’re interested in testing, whether in diagnostics*, public health*, agriculture, food or water, species ID or other applications
Flongle uses the same core nanopore technology as MinION, GridION and PromethION, offering direct DNA or RNA analysis, simple preparation, real-time data and long reads.
- Library preparation can be performed in ten minutes and Oxford Nanopore is also developing automated preparation solutions.
- Loading and running Flongle is simple – pipettes are not required for loading.
- Basecalling can be performed using a local PC/laptop or with MinIT. Onward analysis is possible in real time for rapid results.
Flongle is a flow cell dongle and is compatible with both MinION and GridION
The Flongle adapter is compatible with both MinION and GridION, allowing:
- Occasional smaller tests
- Experiments outside the lab or in field
- Or larger numbers of individual tests on GridION
Each Flongle Flow Cell contains 128 channels, compared to MinION’s 512. As yields have increased for MinION, Flongle is a good option for researchers for whom MinION yields are now too high.
We plan to release Flongle into early access followed by release to general users within 2018. For Early Access users, test packs and Developer packs will be available to purchase.
Please register your interest to receive more information on Flongle.
Or, to get started with nanopore immediately, buy MinION now.
*Please note Flongle is currently for research use only.