Advantages of nanopore sequencing
Nanopore sequencing is the only sequencing technology that offers real-time analysis (for rapid insights), in fully scalable formats, can analyse native DNA or RNA, and sequence any length of fragment to achieve short to ultra-long read lengths.
Nanopore sequencing is being applied to fields where portability, ease of set up, real-time analysis and control over time-to-results, make a difference. The technology is proven with a variety of input material such as genomic DNA, amplified DNA, cDNA and native RNA.
Real-time data analysis: no fixed run-time
- Nanopore sequencing data starts to stream immediately, rather than being delivered in bulk at the end of a 'run'.
- Real-time data enables an experiment to be stopped as soon as sufficient data has been gathered to answer the question. It can also enable real-time adaptive sampling.
Portability and options for fast library preparation
- The size of a stapler and USB-powered, the MinION is being used outside the traditional lab environment, enabling users to take analysis to the sample.
- The MinION Mk1C is a complete, portable, connected device performing both sequencing and onboard basecalling and analysis.
- The MinION devices have been used to study the microbiome of the Antarctic, to track viral outbreaks globally, stop poaching in the pacific and even aboard the International Space Station.
- VolTRAX, our automated sample preparation device, further enables sequencing in diverse environments and by those with fewer lab skills.
- Using our rapid kits, library prep can be completed in under 10 minutes.
- Nanopore sensors are based on electronics and can be scaled to any size device, to be used in any environment.
- The MinION is a portable sequencer that can generate up to 50 Gb of data per Flow Cell. GridION offers integrated computing with up to 5 MinION Flow Cells. PromethION is designed to use up to 48 flow cells, each capable of generating up to 290 Gb per flow cell for large-scale projects requiring ultra-high throughput.
- Flongle, our single-use flow cell adapter for the MinION and GridION, capable of generating up to 2.8 Gb of data and is designed for smaller tests or experiments — offering the ultimate on-demand.
- Many parameters can be adjusted or scaled, including the time for which the experiment is run, the choice of device, or the number of flow cells used for sequencing.
Ultra-long read lengths
- Oxford Nanopore devices process the reads that are presented — the lengths generated are sample-preparation dependent and the longest read reported by a MinION user to date is >4 Mb in length.
- Long and ultra-long reads confer many advantages, including simpler assembly and more comprehensive analysis of repetitive regions, phasing or CNVs.
Direct molecular analysis
- Nanopore sensing is a direct electronic analysis of the target molecule
- Sequencing native DNA (and RNA) avoids bias introduced by amplification steps, opening up opportunities for epigenetic analysis
- Workflows are kept simple by avoiding amplification or light-based measurement steps
Adapting MinION and GridION for smaller, routine tests and analyses. Low plex targeted sequencing, RNA isoform analysis, and quality control applications.View Flongle
Access the benefits of nanopore technology from just $1,000 — suitable for targeted sequencing and gene expression studies.View MinION
Integrated sequencing and analysis in a powerful handheld device — suitable for targeted sequencing and gene expression studies.View MinION
From genome assembly to gene expression, run multiple experiments on-demand using 5 independent MinION flow cells.View GridION
Flexible, population-scale sequencing using up to 48 independent, high-capacity flow cells — complete genomic and transcriptomic characterisation of large sample numbers.View PromethION
Automated sample extraction and library preparation.View VolTRAX