What is PEAP?
The PromethION is a desktop device for high-throughput, high sample-number, nanopore-based analysis of biological molecules such as DNA and RNA. The PromethION Early Access Programme (PEAP) allows innovative researchers to get first access to this novel technology.
While the MinION portable DNA sequencer makes up to 512 sensing channels available at any one time, the PromethION is designed to provide up to 144,000 channels configured as 48 flow cells that can be run together or independently.
PromethION works in the same way as the MinION except on a larger scale. It uses nanopore sensing to offer long read lengths, real time data streaming, simple workflows (eg modular on-demand sequencing and <10 minute library prep), high consensus accuracy and suitability for a broad range of analysis techniques.
PEAP Participants (PEAPs) will receive:
- A PromethION device
- Site installation support
- A number of flow cells and reagent kits to validate the technology
- Access to an online community of PEAP participants, to access community based support and to exchange ideas/solutions with others in the PEAP.
- Access to a community knowledge base to access the latest protocols and updates, and the PromethION store to purchase further flow cells and consumables
The PEAP process
Register to enter Nanopore Community (buy MinION starter pack) and pay your deposit or fee (see PEAP pricing)*
You will now be in the PEAP queue. As your dispatch time approaches the PromethION technical team will be in touch to prepare your Installation support. During this time you can become more familiar with nanopore analyses by using the MinION
Once your site is ready the device is dispatched, with configuration test cells and simulated data to verify your configuration
Once configuration is complete, you will be sent functional flow cells to start your first PromethION experiments. You can then purchase additional consumables from the PromethION Store
In the early phase of PEAP participants are paying a $75k deposit for a place in the queue. After 14th October this will transition to a larger PEAP bundle . The PromethION instrument is still free of charge.
NOW CLOSED (Deposits were received by 14/10/16)
(Main phase: product bundle rather than convertible deposit)
|PromethION Instrument||No charge||No charge|
|Starter Pack (12 PromethION Flow Cells and kits)||No charge||$30,000|
|Compute module support (can be paid for using deposit)||$15,000 p.a||$15,000 p.a|
|Deposit, convertible to consumables||$75,000||n/a|
|48 PromethION Flow Cells||Not included||*$73,000|
|12 MinION Flow Cells||Not included||$7,000**|
|Reagent kits||Not included||$10,000|
|Total||Deposit $75,000||Bundle $135,000|
*Usually $91,200 so this represents a PEAP discount ** Users will already have a MinION as they will have joined the Nanopore Community
Paying: Early PEAP ($75k deposit)
THIS IS NOW CLOSED. [After logging into the Nanopore Community, you will then be able to pay the $75,000 deposit and access fee using the online shop. You will need to review and and agree the PEAP Queue Terms and Conditions.]
This deposit is fully refundable if you wish to leave the queue before you start configuration / receive your device.
When you receive your PromethION, your $75,000 deposit is fully creditable towards purchase of Flow Cells and Library Preparation products to run the instrument. It can also be used to pay for MinION consumables, PromethION installation and the compute module service.
Paying: PEAP Bundle ($135k)
This item will be available in the store from 14th October 2016. Please contact a member of the customer services team if you need any assistance or additional information to arrange the payment of this fee. PEAP Bundle delivery subject to availability.
Getting ready for PromethION
About 8 weeks before delivery, we will get in touch to discuss:
- Laboratory Requirements
- IT and Networking Infrastructure required
- Data Analysis and Base calling information
- The latest laboratory protocols through the PEAP Community Channel
If you believe your infrastructure support will require more time to complete any upgrades then please speak to the PromethION team at Oxford Nanopore.
General site requirements
- Two SFP+ Fibre ports and two copper Ethernet ports connect to the customer network
- Only the Fibre ports can be used for sequencing data (multimode is currently a requirement)
- Ethernet Ports are used for basic telemetry and software updates
- Maximum storage expectations are 80GB per hour per flow cell being run
In 2014, Oxford Nanopore introduced the portable MinION to hundreds of users through the MinION Access Programme. During this time the performance and usability of the MinION improved exponentially. MinION was made commercially available in 2015 and improvements are still rolled out continuously.
In a similar pattern, we will be driving rapid PromethION iteration cycles to reach full functionality. The first instruments will have the capacity to enable users to run larger projects on a Nanopore platform, and we will deliver continuous releases towards full functionality.
Your PEAP journeyJoin PEAP today
Begins when your device is scheduled (approx 8 weeks before shipping)
An initial call will cover:
- Introduction to the team and the process
- Laboratory and IT Infrastructure requirements
- Expected delivery times
Protocol development and validation
- Discuss sample type and best library preparation approach for end goal with PromethION
- Commence protocol validation on MinION
Once the instrument is ready to ship a verification call covering:
- Site readiness for PromethION
- Progress on protocol validation
- Shipping and documentation ready
PromethION installation and configuration
PromethION shipped and delivered
- Verification that device shipped correctly (20 Mins)
- Installation into local Network and Storage (Site dependent)
- Run a CTC experiment to test data path (1 hour)
PromethION flow cells shipped
At this point an installation charge and annual compute support are chargeable.
- Lambda available as a control and can be run on a whole flow cell or in one chamber
- Running of own sample with MinION as a Control