We are looking for a results-driven, motivated individual to join as Director of Chip Development. You'll take responsibility for a key part of Chip R&D ensuring development and improvement of the chip and flowcell within ONT products.
Reporting to the VP, Platform Technology, the successful candidate will take responsibility for a key part of Chip R&D, running multiple projects within the group to ensure the development of the chip and flowcell within Nanopore products. You'll work collaboratively with other groups to specify, transfer and deliver improvements ensuring appropriate product integration. This is a strategic and operational role which includes working with a number of business teams and stakeholders as well as technical leadership.
- Technical leadership of projects including managing and prioritising group workload, resource headcount and equipment needs to ensure appropriate and timely delivery within budget
- Input to strategic plans that advance the development of the chip and flowcell within Nanopore products
- Provision of operational and scientific guidance on processes as required
- Liaison and communication with key stakeholders across the company on project status, risks and issues
- Regular and timely communication between project team members, drawing on wider technical expertise across the organisation to achieve optimal outcomes and performance
- Working collaboratively as part of the management team to share ideas, improve operations, recommending, supporting and implementing continuous improvement activities and process and procedure improvements to optimise results in line with quality standards and customer requirements
- Maximising team performance by sharing goals and objectives, leading the team to operational success
- Mentoring and coaching staff to enable high performance, skill development and to nurture talent
- Identify areas for technological and innovative advancement while maintaining excellent standards
- Input to research and development budget
- Ensure complicity with health and safety regulations, quality and environmental standards and all other company policies and procedures
What We're Looking For...
We'll expect you to have a Biotech, start-up or research function background and ideally, you'll have previous experience of taking a product from proof of concept state to pilot product. You're someone with proven leadership and communication skills and well versed in leading a group of scientists within an industrial setting to optimal performance and delivery.
As well as being results and detail orientated with the ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines, you have proven project/programme management skills. You understand scientific processes, components and design techniques and are driven to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements. You consider yourself a big-picture thinker and are commercially and financially astute. You have prior experience operating and influencing at a senior and strategic level with excellent relationship management skills enabling you to engage, negotiate and manage stakeholders and work collaboratively with others.
Naturally, we'll expect you to have a degree in one of the physical sciences and ideally a physical science PhD or equivalent as well as a scientific background. This role will suit someone who is resilient, adaptable and open to change, with excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities who enjoys taking a flexible approach to problems and is comfortable considering multiple routes to solve issues.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a cutting-edge, fast-paced organisation with opportunities to utilise new technology and influence change.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.